Friday, January 18, 2008

Shameless Whoring For Links

I've long held the opinion that Samizdata is the best political blog on this or any other planet.
I wrote some Outhouse Poetry about them a few days ago, intending to post it this weekend, along with a title like "Shameless Whoring for Links". I listed and linked all the Samizdata-like things I'd blogged about and pounded some rhymes onto the ends of each line - essentially asking them to add me to their blogroll.

It was certain to get Samizdata's attention. They were sure to link me.

Wouldn't you know it, some time this morning Perry De Havilland, part of the Samizdata brain trust (and Free Market demigod), linked to one of my rants about the Locally Grown movement.
A great work of poetry had been rendered unnecessary. I mean, what are the odds against me writing an epic and then having someone on the other side of the world ruin the ending? It's like God answering a prayer before it can be prayed.

It was cruel in a way. I had even emailed Perry to ask how to pronounce Samizdata. (It's Sam Iz Dah Tah, BTW....)

For the benefit of future scholars of the Poetic Arts, here's what I had written. Only the last line is changed to reflect current events.

When I began this little blog
To dissipate the Statist fog,
And fight against Bill Clinton’s bride,
My other goal was to provide
A Libertarian Intifada,
So I could be on Samizdata.

I said Thomas Sowell’s great!!
And criticized the Nanny State !!
I said Hayek’s pretty cool !!
And called Lou Dobbs a freakin’ fool !!
Yet all’s in vain because there’s not a
Single link from Samizdata.

I’m on Carnivals Galore,
Plus Satan’s Ho and Soobdujore.
Texas papers let me shine,
And so did Baptist friends of mine.
But there’s just one Big Enchilada,
That Limey blogroll - Samizdata.

I quoted Popper and Von Mises,
Laughed at those who think they’re Jesus,
I quoted Friedman (who’s now dead),
Plus, “Atlas Shrugged” and “Fountainhead”.
I get hits, but links? No, Nada.
Still no links from Samizdata..

But now I lay me down for sleeping,
And pray the Lord my soul is keeping,
‘Cause if I die before I’m waking
The Lord can have my soul for taking
To Heaven, Hell, or other strata,
My Blog is now on Samizdata !

It's obvious that I'm from the same state that produced William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Richard Wright, and Tennessee Williams, isn't it?
But yes, they finally linked me. I'm not on the Blogroll yet, but what they did is great. I'm getting hits from all over Europe.
Hit the last verse of my doggerel, and I'm the "Good Of The Planet" link on the post about Third World Farmers.

3 comments:

GW said...

I do have a fond appreciation for outhouse poetry, and I thought your effort commendable. Thanks for the blog roll offer. Having reviewed your categories, my blog probably belong with the Marxist prof's.

Jay@Soob said...

Lol. Novel bit of link whoring.

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the compliments. My only regret is that I couldn't find some way to rhyme "Moon" and "June".

I'm now going to retire to my study with a goose quill pen, parchment, and a brandy snifter to compose a sonnet about my lack of links on Instapundit.