From the 50 Books blog comes a story often attributed to a Winston Churchill/Lady Astor conversation. The 50 Books Blogger attributes it to George Bernard Shaw:
A certain gentleman inquired of a lady whether she would be willing to sleep with him for 50,000 pounds. After some hesitation, the lady replied that she supposed she would, in consideration of the magnitude of the offer. Then he asked whether she would sleep with him for twopence.
"Certainly not," she responded with indignation. "Just what kind of lady do you think I am?"
"Madam, I believe we have already established that," he remarked calmly. "Now we are just haggling over the price."
From Newsvine.com comes this gem about Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu:
Staffers on Capitol Hill were calling it the Louisiana Purchase.
On the eve of Saturday's showdown in the Senate over health-care reform, Democratic leaders still hadn't secured the support of Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), one of the 60 votes needed to keep the legislation alive. The wavering lawmaker was offered a sweetener: at least $100 million in extra federal money for her home state.
And so it came to pass that Landrieu walked onto the Senate floor midafternoon Saturday to announce her aye vote -- and to trumpet the financial "fix" she had arranged for Louisiana. "I am not going to be defensive," she declared. "And it's not a $100 million fix. It's a $300 million fix."
Why aren't people marching on Washington? Why do we sit back and act like our representatives are anything other than crack whores? I mean, this senator is going to go back to Louisiana bragging about how she slutted herself out, then took $300,000,000.00 from the public trough, in exchange for allowing the government to take over 1/6th of the economy.
Do they routinely allow senators to raid the Treasury in exchange for votes? Is that how this works?
Here are a few more questions and propositions for Senator Landrieu....
1. How much would you charge to dress up in full dominatrix gear, meet Harry Reid in a Vegas hotel room, and make him crawl about on all fours while slapping him on the buttocks with a rolled up copy of the Healthcare Bill?
2. What would it cost to have you participate in a threesome with Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore, if CNN were to be there with a film crew and Anderson Cooper provided narration and commentary? (All funds raised from video sales would go toward ACORN get-out-the-vote initiatives.)
3. Senator Landrieu, when I get home from work, having walked around warehouses all day, my feet are really nasty. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not into anything like this. I'm just curious..... How much would it cost to have you put on a Hillary Clinton mask and lick my toes while I type nasty notes into the Government Is Good comment fields? (I really, really, really don't want to experience anything like this. Just looking for a budgetary proposal. For curiosity's sake. Call me.)
4. Do you do fraternity parties? If so, do you charge a flat rate?
5. Why are the Fort Worth prostitutes working on Lancaster and Rosedale streets in constant danger of arrest, while you are applauded for turning a Three Hundred Million Dollar trick?